CMSP Seminar @ICTP Stasi Seminar Room Thursday 28 July at 11.30 - Ronnie KOSLOFF

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Jul 21 10:29:11 CEST 2016

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

THURSDAY 28 July at 11.30 a.m.
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo building

Ronnie KOSLOFF(Institute of Chemistry, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem
Israel)

Title: Dynamical View of Quantum Thermodynamics: Insight from Heat Engines

Abstract:

Quantum thermodynamics addresses the emergence of thermodynamical laws
from quantum

mechanics. The viewpoint advocated is based on the intimate connection
of quantum

thermodynamics with the theory of open quantum systems. Quantum
mechanics inserts dynamics

into thermodynamics giving a sound foundation to
finite-time-thermodynamics. The emergence

of the 0-law I-law II-law and III-law of thermodynamics from quantum
considerations will be presented

through examples. I will show that the 3-level laser is equivalent to
Carnot engine. I will reverse

the engine and obtain a quantum refrigerator. Different models of
quantum refrigerators and their

optimisation will be discussed. A heat-driven refrigerator (absorption
refrigerator) is compared to

a power-driven refrigerator related to laser cooling. This will lead to
a dynamical version of the

III-law of thermo- dynamics limiting the rate of cooling when the
absolute zero is approached.

I will show that various engine types are thermodynamically equivalent
in the quantum limit

of small engine action. I will address the question why we find heat
exchangers and flywheels

in quantum engines. I will present a molecular model of a heat rectifier
and a heat pump in a

non-Markovian and strong coupling regime [? ].

[1,5]

[1] K. H. Hoffmann, P. Salamon, Y. Rezek and R. Kosloff, Euro. Phys.
Lett. 96, 60015 (2011).

[2] A. Levy, R. Alicki, and R. Kosloff, Phys. Rev. E 85, 061126 (2012),
URL http://link.aps.org/doi/

10.1103/PhysRevE.85.061126.

[3] Ronnie Kosloff, Entropy 15, 2100 (2013).
[4] R. Kosloff and A. Levy, Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 65, 365 (2014).
[5] R. Uzdin and R. Kosloff, New J. Phys. 16, 095003 (2014).

_
_