Mathematics Seminar - Monday 18 July at 16:00

Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Jul 5 10:24:44 CEST 2016

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2016

Monday, 18 July, at 16.00 hrs.

Dana Fine (UMass Dartmouth)

Title:
Path integrals, supersymmetric quantum mechanics  and the Atiyah-Singer
index theorem for twisted Dirac

Abstract:
In the 1980’s, Alvarez-Gaume, following Witten, used heuristic path
integrals in supersymmetric quantum mechanics to give arguments for
index theorems including the Gauss-Bonnet-Chern, Hirzebruch, and
Atiyah-Singer theorems. In this talk, I summarize the arguments, and
describe a mathematical construction of the relevant path integrals.
This provides a new construction of the heat kernel for a class of
Laplacians broad enough to include the square of the twisted Dirac
operator, which corresponds to an extension of N=1/2 supersymmetric
quantum mechanics. In this case, general results on the rate of
convergence of the approximate path integrals suffice to derive the
local version of the Atiyah-Singer index theorem.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)