QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR - Tuesday 26 January

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Jan 25 10:49:29 CET 2016

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR

Tuesday, 26 January - 14:00
Central Area, 2nd Floor- ICTP, old SISSA Building

Speaker: Isaac Perez Castillo, Department of Complex Systems, Institute
of Physics UNAM, Mexico

Title: "A Bayesian Model-Selection-Method as a Criterion for Algorithmic
Randomness "

Abstract:

In this talk I discuss a novel methodology using Bayesian inference to
assess how random a sequence of symbols is. Our test assigns a
likelihood to all possible models that may have generated a given
sequence and then selects the model with the higher likelihood. In this
way we are able to infer whether the underlying process was either
unbiased or not. In particular, when theoretically compared with Borel
normality criterion from algorithmic theory of information and the NIST
suite, our method shows a statistical more robust and stricter criterion.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7772/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary