ICTP Mathematics Seminars - Two seminars on Monday 1 February from 16:00

Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Jan 25 09:41:11 CET 2016

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2016

1) Monday, 1 February, 16:00 - 16:50 hrs.

Paulo Brandao (IMPA)

Topological attractors for Contracting Lorenz Maps

Abstract:
We show that contracting Lorenz maps with negative Schwarzian derivative
have only one topological attractor.
More precisely, if such a map f has no finite attractor (periodic
attractors or super-attractors), then there is a transitive compact set
Λ such that it is the omega-limit for a residual set of the interval.
 From the techniques developed to get this we also have a Spectral
Decomposition Theory for these Lorenz maps.

2) Monday, 1 February, 17:00 - 17:50 hrs.

Vilton Pinheiro (UFBA)

Expanding Lorenz maps with abundance of invariant ergodic probabilities
having +∞ as Lyapunov exponent

Abstract:

We show that there are Cr Lorenz maps f : [−1, 1] \ {0} → [−1, 1], r ≥
2, with uncountable many ergodic invariant probabilities μ with positive
entropy, infinite Lyapunov exponent, full support (suppμ = [−1, 1]) and
fast recurrence to the singularity. Such measures make more difficult
the study of the Thermodynamical Formalism for the expanding Lorenz
maps. On the other hand, we also give a generic condition for a Lorenz
map to present only invariant probabilities with finite Lyapunov
exponent and slow recurrence to the singularity. We also discuss the
Thermodynamical Formalism for both cases.

VENUE for both seminars:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da
Vinci Building, first floor)