Special CMSP Seminar TUESDAY 1 March at 14:00 hrs.

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Feb 29 10:56:30 CET 2016

Special Seminar in Condensed Matter Physics and
Statistical Physics

TUESDAY 1 March at 14:00 hrs.
please note venue:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, Leonardo building

Marcello DALMONTE (Institute for Quantum Optics and Quantum Information,
University of Innsbruck, Austria)

"Strongly Correlated Low-Dimensional Gases: From Supersymmetric
Quantum Criticiality to Majorana Quasi-Particles"

Abstract:
Ultracold quantum gases have emerged in recent years as flexible
platforms to experimentally access strongly correlated regimes. In the
first part of this talk, I will discuss how novel techniques based on
engineering long-range interactions using Rydberg gases pave the way for
the investigation of frustrated magnetism in reduced dimensionality. In
particular, using a combination of analytical and numerical methods, I
will show how a certain class of soft-shoulder Hubbard models can
support liquid states of matter which circumvent the restrictions
imposed by Luttinger theorem, and that are separated from more
conventional liquids by supersymmetric conformal critical points. In the
second part of the talk, the focus will be on Majorana quasi-particles
in fermionic quantum gases. These paradigmatic excitations have
attracted a lot of interest recently due to their potential for quantum
computing applications. However, their observation is challenging, as
one has first to identify proper Hamiltonian setting supporting those,
and then find a proper probing. After reviewing briefly which classes of
cold atom Hamiltonians can support such states, I will present some
recent results on how to employ a fractionalized Josephson effect to
hallmark the presence of Majorana quasi-particles and distinguish them
from more conventional excitations.