seminar announcement

Emilia Mezzetti mezzette at units.it
Tue Feb 23 09:56:38 CET 2016

Seminar announcement
University of Trieste

Friday February 26, 2016, at 11 a.m.

Ada Boralevi (SISSA)

will speak on

How to obtain a space of matrices of constant rank by truncating
graded modules.

Venue: Seminar Room  (DMG, Sezione di Matematica e Informatica, H2
building, Via A.Valerio 12/1, 3rd floor, room 334)

Everybody interested is much welcome to attend.

Abstract: A space of matrices of constant rank is a vector subspace
V, say of dimension n+1, of the set of matrices of size a x b over a
field k, such that any nonzero element of V has fixed rank r. It is a
classical problem to look for examples of such spaces of matrices,
and to give relations among the possible values of the parameters
a,b,r,n. In this talk I will report on a joint work with Daniele
Faenzi and Paolo Lella, where we introduce a new effective method to
construct explicit examples of such spaces.
I will show how linear matrices of relatively small size can be
cooked up with two ingredients, namely two finitely generated graded
modules E and G over the ring of polynomials k[x_0,...,x_n],
admitting a linear resolution up to a certain step. The key idea here
is that, in order for E to fit our purpose, it is necessary to
truncate E above a certain range, typically its regularity, which
ensures linearity of the resolution. To connect this result with
linear matrices of constant rank, one takes E and G such that their
sheafifications are vector bundles over P^n; this, together with one
more technical assumption, guarantees that the presentation matrix of
E, as well as that of any higher truncation of E, actually has
constant rank.
In the last part of the talk I will focus on matrices with extra
symmetry properties: I will show the conditions needed for a constant
rank matrix constructed with our method to be skew-symmetrizable,
connecting these new results with previous ones obtained with Daniele
Faenzi and Emilia Mezzetti in [Linear spaces of matrices of constant
rank and instanton bundles, Adv. in Math. 248 (2013)].

--
Prof. Emilia Mezzetti

Dipartimento di Matematica e Geoscienze
Sezione di Matematica e Informatica
Universita' di Trieste
Via Valerio 12/1
34127 Trieste, Italia

Stanza 227, II piano
e-mail: mezzette at units.it
tel. studio (+39) 040 558 2650
skype: emiliamezzetti
tel. Segreteria Dip.: (+39) 040 558 2635
fax: (+39) 040 558 2636
http://www.dmi.units.it/~mezzette/