Special CMSP Seminar WEDNESDAY 24 February at 14:00 hrs.

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Feb 23 08:28:50 CET 2016

Special Seminar in Condensed Matter Physics and
Statistical Physics

WEDNESDAY 24 February at 14:00 hrs
EULER Lecture Room, Terrace Level, Leonardo building

Michele BURRELLO (MPI-Institut fuer Quantenoptik, Garching, Germany)

"Topological Phases in Ultracold Fermions: Artificial Fluxes Meet
Spin-Orbit Couplings"

Abstract:
The recent successes in coupling ultracold gases to synthetic gauge
potentials show the exceptional possibilities of such setups in studying
and probing many-body quantum physics.
In this talk, I will review some aspects of the theory of topological
phases of matter and I will describe how the combined action of
synthetic magnetic fields and spin-orbit couplings allow us to engineer
in such systems both symmetry-protected topological phases and
non-trivial topological order.

I will focus in particular on a ladder model of fermions which mimics a
one-dimensional topological superconductor and presents fractionalized
edge modes. The physical observables suitable for the detection of
topological phases in this system will be examined also in the presence
of trapping potentials and Hubbard interactions.

Finally, I will discuss further examples of higher-dimensional
topological systems characterized by synthetic non-Abelian gauge potentials.