Quantitative Life Sciences Seminar - 18 February

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Feb 15 09:02:02 CET 2016

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR

*Thursday**, 18 February - 11:00**am*
*****Central Area**, 2nd Floor**- ICTP, old SISSA Building*

Title: "Dynein transmits polarized actomyosin cortical flows to promote
centrosome separation"

Speaker: Alessandro De Simone - EPFL, Doctoral Program in Molecular Life
Sciences, Lausanne, Switzerland

Abstract:
Centrosomes are the major microtubule organizing centers of animal cells
and play a critical role in mitosis to organize the mitotic spindle and
orchestrate chromosome segregation. The two centrosomes present at the
onset of mitosis must separate in a timely and accurate fashion along
the surface of the nucleus to ensure proper bipolar spindle assembly.

The microtubule-associated motor dynein plays a pivotal role in
centrosome separation, but the underlying mechanisms remain elusive,
particularly regarding how dynein coordinates this process in space and
time. Where in the cell do motors act to separate centrosomes? How are
forces organized to bring centrosomes in opposite directions? And how
robust is this process?

To address these questions, we have dissected centrosome separation in
the C.elegans one-cell stage embryo. We have quantitatively measured and
modeled centrosome separation using a combination of 3D fluorescence
time-lapse microscopy, image processing and computational modeling. Our
analysis reveals that centrosome separation is powered by the joint
action of dynein at the nuclear envelope and at the cell cortex.
Strikingly, we demonstrate that dynein at the cell cortex acts as a
force-transmitting device that harnesses polarized actomyosin cortical
flows initiated by the centrosomes earlier in the cell cycle. This novel
mechanism elegantly couples cell polarization with centrosome
separation, thus ensuring faithful cell division.

Web: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7804/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary