Seminar @ DF - Friday 2 Dec 2.00 pm - M. Paternostro "Alice through the looking glass"

glavina Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Thu Dec 1 11:20:53 CET 2016

We are pleased to announce the seminar @ DF UniTs:

Mauro Paternostro

School of Mathematics and Physics
Centre for Theoretical Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics (CTAMOP)
Queen’s University, Belfast

"Alice through the looking glass (or of optics, (quantum) mechanics, and
opto-mechanics)"

Friday, 2nd December 2016 - 2:00 pm
Lecture Room A, F building, via Valerio 2

ABSTRACT:
Trying to put back mechanics into quantum mechanics, in this talk I will
discuss how to optically drive mechanical systems and explore the
possibility to observe quantum effects at the mesoscopic scale using
opto-mechanics. I will illustrate a roadmap, based on the use of light
and massive mechanical systems, aimed at the design and realisation of
quantum thermal machines. Moreover, should time allow it, I will briefly
discuss the possibility to infer collapse models that are alternative to
the standard formulation of decoherence mechanisms though the use of
opto-mechanical devices.