QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR - 3 May

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Apr 28 11:12:37 CEST 2016

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Tuesday, 3 May at 14:00

ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building

Speaker: Cristina Savin - Institute of Science and Technology - IST
Austria, Klosterneuburg

Title: " New tricks for old problems: using maximum entropy models to
study hippocampal memory"

Abstract:
Understanding how memory and learning happen at the level of neural
circuits is one of the fundamental questions in neuroscience, with broad
implications ranging from education, to neuroprosthetics or
brain-machine interfaces. The contribution of the hippocampus to the
formation of new memories and memory recall has been investigated
extensively, both experimentally and in theoretical models. Nonetheless,
putting together the pieces of the memory puzzle remains a challenge.

During the talk I’ll use a two examples from my recent work to
illustrate how ideas from machine learning and statistical physics, in
particular maximum entropy models, can provide novel insights into the
contributions of the hippocampus to learning and memory. First, I’ll
discuss a new approach for characterising the statistical structure of
neural activity and it’s changes during learning.  Second, I’ll
introduce a top-down framework for studying memory recall at the level
of neural circuits, which provides computationally
well-founded links across scales, from single synapses, to the
integration of signals in the dendritic arbor, to circuit dynamics, to
the system's level architecture of the brain and to behavior.

Web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7863/

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary