SP Seminar 6 April @ ICTP, Luigi Stasi Room, Leonardo: Alexander NERSESYAN

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Apr 5 08:51:20 CEST 2016

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Wednesday 6 April - 16:30 hrs.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, 1st floor ICTP Leonardo Building

Alexander NERSESYAN
Andronikashvili Institute of Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Tbilisi,
Georgia

Title: Classical Impurities and Boundary Majorana Zero Modes in Quantum
Chains

_Abstract:_

We study the response of classical impurities in quantum Ising
chains.The Z2 degeneracy they
entail renders the existence of twodecoupled Majorana modes at zero
energy an exact property
of a finitesystem at arbitrary values of its bulk parameters. We trace
theevolution of these modes
across the transition from the disordered phaseto the ordered one and
analyze the concomitant
qualitative changes of localmagnetic properties of an isolated impurity.
In the disordered phase,
the two ground states differ only close to the impurity. In this phase
the local transverse spin
susceptibility follows a Curie law.The criticalresponse of a boundary
impurity is logarithmically
divergent and maps tothe two-channel Kondo problem, while it saturates
for critical bulkimpurities,
as well as in the ordered phase. The results for the Isingchain
translate to the related problem
of a resonant level coupled to a1d p-wave superconductor or a Peierls
chain, whereby the magnetic
order ismapped to topological order.We find that the topological phase
alwaysexhibits a continuous
impurity response to local fields as a result of thelevel repulsion of
local levels from the boundary
Majorana zero mode. Incontrast, the disordered phase generically
features a discontinuous magnetization
or charging response. This difference constitutes a general
thermodynamic fingerprint of topological order
in phases with abulk gap.