Rizal Afgani's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Thu Sep 17 11:39:59 CEST 2015

Algebraic Geometry Seminar

SISSA, Friday, September 25th 2015, Room 136, at 15:30.

Speaker: Rizal Afgani

Title: Resolution of singularities of toric surfaces

Abstract. The study of embeddings of algebraic tori into irreducible
varieties has strong relation to the study of the geometry of convex
bodies. We will consider varieties that are constructed from strongly
convex cones and fans. In this seminar I will describe types of
singularities of toric varieties and the resolutions of the
singularities of toric surfaces. We will see Hirzebruch-Jung continued
fractions playing to give the resolution of toric surfaces.  I will also
try to give the idea how to generalize it in higher dimension.