ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday, 8 September at 14:30

Margherita Di Giovannantonio mdgiovan at ictp.it
Wed Sep 2 15:35:22 CEST 2015

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2015

Tuesday, 8 September at 14:30 hrs.

Alastair King (University of Bath, UK)

Title:
Mysterious duality and the 5 string theories

Abstract:
I will explain the mysterious link, first noticed by B. Julia & C. Vafa,
between maximal supergravity theories and del Pezzo surfaces.
 From there, a speculative leap leads to a collection of 5 mathematical
objects that could be in natural correspondence with the 5 types of
string theory.

VENUE:
Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)