Quantitative Life Sciences - Upcoming Guest Seminar - Tue. 27 October 11:00am

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Oct 26 10:48:00 CET 2015

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Tuesday, 27 October - 11:00 am
Central Area, 2nd Floor- ICTP, ex SISSA Building

Guest speaker: Prof. Alberto Policriti
Dipartimento di Matematica e Informatica, Università di Udine
                             Istituto di Genomica Applicata, Parco
Scientifico e Tecnologico "L. Danieli"

Title:                    Encoding sequencing data (and time)

Abstract:

  We will start from a discussion of the algorithmic aspects of
production, analysis, and storage for short-reads sequencing-data in a
genomic research project. Along this path we will see what are the most
established currently used computational tools, with some emphasis on
some aspect in which we believe a deeper interaction between Computer
Science and Biology would be most welcome. With this in mind, we will
conclude with the description of an ongoing study on some intriguing
combinatorial and computational problem suggested by the task of
clustering data during (cancer-cell sub-population) analysis and
classification. Some temporal aspect of this problem will be taken into
account.

Webpage: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7728/

--
Erica Sarnataro