BASIC NOTIONS SEMINAR at ICTP - Friday 30 October, at 14:00

Math Group math at ictp.it
Fri Oct 23 14:38:47 CEST 2015

BASIC  NOTIONS  SEMINAR  SERIES  2015

Friday, 30 October, at 14.00 hrs.

Claudio Arezzo (ICTP)

Title: Isoperimetric problems and minimal surfaces (Basic Notions Seminar)

Abstract:
I will describe few classical variational problems related to very basic
geometrical notions, such as length of curves, area of surfaces and
volumes. I will give the solution of the classical isoperimetric problem
and how this problem rapidly induces natural related problems which are
largely open. Increasing dimension, I will show how the mean curvature
of a surface becomes the key ingredient and give an overview of the
classical theory of "minimal" surfaces in euclidean space.  Time
permitting, I will describe few applications of these theories to
natural sciences, from general relativity to biology.

Venue: Budinich Lecture Hall (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

Tel. no.: +39-040-2240455