Luca Rizzi's seminars at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Oct 5 14:04:16 CEST 2015

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

*
**Tuesday 27.10.2015, 14:00  Luca Rizzi, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris
(SISSA, room 133)*

Title: A sub-Riemannian Santaló formula with applications to
isoperimetric inequalities and Dirichlet spectral gap of hypoelliptic
operators

Abstract: We prove a sub-Riemannian version of the classical Santaló
formula: a result in integral geometry that describes the intrinsic
Liouville measure on the unit cotangent bundle in terms of the geodesic
flow.

As an application, we derive (p-)Hardy-type and isoperimetric-type
inequalities for a compact domain with Lipschitz boundary and negligible
characteristic set. Moreover, we prove a universal (i.e. curvature
independent) lower bound for the first Dirichlet eigenvalue of the
intrinsic sub-Laplacian, All our results are sharp for the
sub-Riemannian structures on the hemispheres of the complex and
quaternionic Hopf fibrations.

If time allows, we discuss an interesting bound on the first Dirichlet
eigenvalue on fundamental domain of the Heisenberg nilmanifold (the
quotient of the 3D Heisenberg group by a cocompact lattice).

*
**Wednesday 28.10.2015, 16:00  Luca Rizzi, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris
(SISSA, room 133)*

Title: Intrinsic random walks in Riemannian and sub-Riemannian geometry
via volume sampling

Abstract: We relate some basic constructions of stochastic analysis to
differential geometry, via random walk approximations. The motivation is
largely to explore how one can pass from geodesics to diffusion (and
hence their infinitesimal generators) on sub-Riemannian manifolds, which
is interesting in light of the fact that geodesics are relatively well
understood, while there is no completely canonical notion of
sub-Laplacian on a general sub-Riemannian manifold. However, even in the
Riemannian case, this random walk approach illuminates the geometric
significance of Ito and Stratonovich stochastic differential equations.