Fwd: SP seminar 23.11.2015 @SISSA: Ibanez-Berganza (CHANGED ROOM)

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Mon Nov 23 11:58:54 CET 2015

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	SP seminar 23.11.2015 @SISSA: Ibanez-Berganza*(CHANGED ROOM)*
Date: 	Mon, 23 Nov 2015 11:04:42 +0100
From: 	Vincenzo Alba <valba at sissa.it>
To: 	statistical_physics_seminar at lists.ictp.it

SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Monday, 23th November - 14:00 pm

please note CHANGED VENUE to  SISSA, room 128

Speaker: M. Ibanez-Berganza (INFN, gruppo collegato di Parma -
Dipartimento di Fisica, Università “La Sapienza")

Title: Metastability and finite-size effects in first-order transitions.

Abstract: After an introduction to the phenomenon of metastability and
to the theories describing it in the Ising model paradigm, we will
present some openly debated questions concerning an essentially
different kind of metastability, observed in the two-dimensional Potts
model. We will also debate the relationship with the
evaporation-condensation phenomenon in the microcanonical ensemble,
and propose a method to mitigate the exponential critical slowing down
associated with the numerical estimation of the spinodal point.