QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR - 18 November

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Nov 9 11:55:12 CET 2015

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES GUEST SEMINAR

Wednesday, 18 November - 11:00 am
Central Area, 2nd Floor- ICTP, old SISSA Building

Guest speaker: Prof. Mathew E. Diamond
                             Tactile Perception and Learning Lab, SISSA

Title:                    How sensory systems collect evidence over time

Abstract:

In natural environments, most events are characterized by stochastic,
“noisy” sensory signals. Noisy stimuli can be reliably identified only
by accumulating evidence over time. We present studies designed to
elucidate how an uncertain stimulus is integrated over time to produce a
percept and how that percept is transformed into a decision. Our
strategy is to compare human and rat performance to find fundamental
underlying principles. From these principles we have constructed a model
that accounts for all observed data. In behaving rats, neurons recorded
from various regions of neocortex express the computations inherent to
the model.

Web: indico.ictp.it/event/7730/, www.sissa.it/cns/tactile/index.html

--
Erica Sarnataro