ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Friday 5 June at 16:30

Margherita Di Giovannantonio mdgiovan at ictp.it
Fri May 29 14:42:14 CEST 2015

BASIC  NOTIONS  SEMINAR  SERIES  2015

Friday, 5 June, at 16:30 hrs.

Sina Tureli
(SISSA/ICTP)

Title: Deterministic systems that behave probabilistically

Abstract:
In this talk I will try to explain what it means for a deterministic
system (a dynamical system whose time evolution is completely determined
by some equations) to behave in a probabilistic manner. First through
simple examples I will introduce the modern mathematical terminology for
probability theory (i.e, such things as probability spaces, random
observables, law of large numbers, central limit theorem) and then
explain how these concepts are helpful in understanding behaviour of
certain deterministic dynamical systems.

VENUE:  Budinich Lecture Hall  (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)