Quantitative Life Sciences seminar - 18 May 2015

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri May 8 11:04:12 CEST 2015

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR

Seminar web page: http://indico.ictp.it/event/7456/

MONDAY, 18 MAY 2015, 14:30
L. STASI Seminar room - ICTP Leonardo Bldg., First floor

Prof. Niloy GANGULY
Department of Computer Science
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India

Title:
Coverage maximization under resource constraints using random walk based
strategies

Abstract:
Information dissemination and search in networks are the most frequently
performed operations in any large scale distributed system. Maximization
of the number of distinctly visited nodes (coverage) under constraints
is the prime target of any proposed algorithm for these operations. In
order to quickly achieve high coverage, the existing algorithms tend to
proliferate message packets at higher rate. Due to the nondeterministic
nature of the algorithms, the blind proliferations create many redundant
visits in the network which reduces the utilization of available
resource. For the first time, we formally capture this existing tradeoff
between the available time and available resource to achieve a certain
amount of coverage in the network. Using methods from statistical
mechanics, we showed that coverage can be optimized, without using any
memory, for a certain combinations of resource and time. We also provide
the algorithm which can achieve that optimal coverage. For the rest of
the combinations of resource and time, we provide a notion of optimality
employing a very little amount memory. We test our hypothesis through
extensive computer simulations in various kinds of network topologies.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it