CHANGE OF TIME: Marco Artina's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Mar 16 09:03:23 CET 2015

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Marco Artina
(Technische Universität München)

Title: A robust and ecient anisotropic mesh adaptation strategy to
numerically simulate quasi-static crack propagation in brittle materials

Abstract: The numerical simulation of quasi-static fracturing of brittle
material, where no pre-dened crack path is imposed, is a challenging
problem. In particular,
we deal with the Francfort-Marigo model which requires the minimization
of the well-known nonconvex and nonsmooth Mumford-Shah functional. To deal
with a smoother functional which eases the minimization process of the
energy, we consider the -approximation of the Mumford-Shah functional
via the
Ambrosio-Tortorelli functional. Moreover, from a modeling viewpoint, we
induce the quasi-static crack evolution via an applied displacement
slowly changing in time.
It is a well-established fact that the numerical simulation is often
biased by an improper numerical discretization, with potential
non-physical results. In particular, a non-optimal or a xed
computational mesh can a
ect the fracture evolution, driving it along
non-realistic directions, like the edges of the triangulation. This
issue can be successfully tackled by resorting to anisotropic adapted
meshes, which have been successfully employed to model phenomena
exhibiting strongly directional features.
To drive mesh adaptation, we elaborated an a-posteriori anisotropic
error estimator for the proper discretization of the energy functional.
Through anisotropic meshes we are able to locate, size and orient the
mesh elements in order to follow the intrinsic directionalities of the
solution at hand. Thanks to this grid adaptation process, we obtained
solutions reliable from a physical viewpoint and with a relatively small
computational cost.
In this talk, we introduce the Francfort-Marigo model and its
-approximation in case of plane and antiplane displacements. Then, we
focus on the anisotropic mesh adaptation strategy. We nally assess the
reliability, robustness, and efficiency of the proposed approach on
some benchmark tests.

Venue: SISSA, room 005 (ground floor), Friday 20 March at *14:00*