prof. Annalisa Quaini's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Wed Jun 24 11:53:41 CEST 2015

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Prof. Annalisa Quaini
(Dept. of Mathematics, University of Houston)

TITLE: Simulation of fluid-structure interaction problems arising
hemodynamics

ABSTRACT:
We focus on the interaction of an incompressible fluid and an elastic
structure. Two cases are considered: 1. the elastic structure covers
part of the fluid boundary and undergoes small displacement and 2. the
elastic structure is immersed in the fluid and it features large
displacement.
For the first case, we propose an Arbitrary Lagrangian-Eulerian (ALE)
method based on Lie’s operator splitting. The resulting algorithm is
unconditionally stable and weakly coupled: it requires the solution of
one fluid subproblem and one structure subproblem, both endowed with
Robin type boundary conditions, per time step. This algorithm is applied
to blood flow in a healthy straight artery and in a diseased artery with
implanted stent.
Standard ALE methods fail when the structural displacement is large.
Thus, for the second case we propose an extended ALE method that avoids
remeshing.The extended ALE approach relies on a variational mesh
optimization technique, combined with an additional constraint which is
imposed to enforce the alignment of the structure with certain edges of
the fluid triangulation without changing connectivity. This method is
applied to a 2D benchmark problem modeling valves: a thin elastic 1D
leaflet, modeled by an inextensible beam equation, is immersed in a 2D
incompressible, viscous fluid driven by the time-dependent inlet and
outlet data.

Venue: SISSA, lecture room 133, Wednesday 15 July at 2:30 pm