Chemical Physics seminar on Monday

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Jun 5 09:50:58 CEST 2015

INFORMAL SEMINAR on Chemical Physics

Monday, 8 June -    2:30 p.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room - ICTP Leonardo Building (1st floor)

Prasenjit SEN    (Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad)

"Clusters and superatoms on substrates:  Adsorption, diffusion and assemblies"

Abstract

In the first part of my talk I will introduce the idea of atomic clusters as superatoms and magnetic superatoms, and will present two classes of binary metal clusters that behave as magnetic superatoms. I will then explore, using electronic structure calculations, the right substrate for assembly of a particular magnetic superatom FeCa8. In the later part of my talk I will show some results on adsorption and diffusion of silver clusters on clean and stepped graphite substrates. These results give atomistic insights into some of the experimental observations on these systems.