Revised: this week's seminar - Thursday afternoon

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Tue Feb 17 12:06:29 CET 2015

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Thursday, 19 February  -   2:00 p.m.

SISSA, Santorio Building,   Room 138 (1st Floor)

Axel Cortes Cubero    ( SISSA )

"Integrable matrix-valued fields and  gauge theories as nonintegrable deformations"

Abstract

We study in depth the (1+1)-dimensional principal chiral sigma model. This is an asymptotically-free  N\times N matrix-valued field with massive excitations. We compute all the form factors of several operators combining the integrable bootstrap program and 't Hooft's large-N limit. These results are used to compute finite volume/temperature expectation values at large N. The matrix structure leads to nontrivial thermodynamics that are not captured by the trivial large-N thermodynamic Bethe ansatz. We also study different Yang-Mills theories in 1+1 and 2+1 dimensions as nonintegrable deformations of the sigma model. We address the problems of quark confinement and the glueball spectrum using ideas of form factor perturbation theory.