ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Thursday 20 August at 16:30

Margherita Di Giovannantonio mdgiovan at ictp.it
Thu Aug 13 16:26:09 CEST 2015

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2015

Thursday, 20 August, at 16:30 hrs.

Victoria Hoskins (Freie Universität Berlin, Germany)

Title:
Algebraic symplectic reduction for the additive group

Abstract:
Algebraic symplectic reduction is a method for constructing quotients of
algebraic group actions on algebraic symplectic varieties, such that the
quotients are also algebraic symplectic. We will overview how moment
maps and geometric invariant theory for reductive groups is used to
perform the reduction, give some examples, and describe how to construct
algebraic symplectic analogues of reductive group quotients. We will
give some motivation for studying non-reductive group and explain some
new results for the additive group.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room  (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building,
first floor)