Quantitative Life Sciences seminar - 13 May 2015

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Apr 29 12:48:09 CEST 2015

QUANTITATIVE LIFE SCIENCES SEMINAR

WEDNESDAY, 13 MAY 2015, 10:00 a.m.
L. STASI SEMINAR ROOM - ICTP Leonardo Bldg., First floor

Alberto PULIAFITO
Laboratory of Cell Migration
Institute for Cancer Research and Treatment (IRCC, Candiolo, Turin)

Three dimensional growth paradigms: from architecture to invasion

Abstract:

One of the hallmarks of cancer is to lose grip on growth control giving
rise to a plethora of phenotypes: from disordered growth to invasion of
adjacent tissues. I will discuss two paradigms of normal growth
mechanisms gone awry.
Cultured epithelial cells can form cysts, i.e. perfectly ordered
spheroidal monolayers delimiting a single lumen. The orderly development
of cysts is a process subject to mechanical constraints and depends on
apico-basal polarity. I will present experimental data and modeling
results on cystogenesis and on the mechanisms that lead to a disrupted
architecture. Our results indicate that dynamics has an important role
in leading to aberrant phenotypes.
Oftentimes, once normal architecture is disrupted, migration of tumor
cells to secondary sites becomes more probable. I will describe how
metastatic cancer cells in three-dimensional environments can
collectively migrate as spheroids and fuse into larger and larger
aggregates. I will describe a theoretical model that explains the
experimental data in terms of 'chemotaxis driven aggregation'.
Theoretical hypotheses are supported by experimental data pointing at an
autocrine loop at the basis of such behavior.

--
Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
e-mail: qls at ictp.it