prof. Tomassetti's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon Apr 20 09:07:52 CEST 2015

SISSA MATHLAB SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Speaker: Giuseppe Tomassetti (University of Roma Tor Vergata)

Title: Growth on an elastic body on a rigid support: the treadmilling regime

Venue: Monday 27 April at 4 pm in SISSA lecture room 133

Abstract:

Motivated by experiments on acting growth on spherical beads, we
consider a problem involving surface accretion of an elastic body on the
surface of a rigid sphere, with particle supply being provided by the
flux of a diffusing species taking place in the entire space. The
peculiarity of the growth process we consider is that material particles
are added at the interface between the body and the rigid support, and
removed at the outer surface. In particular, we investigate the
so-called "treadmilling regime", when the addition of material at the
inner surface is balanced by its removal at outer surface. It turns out
that the delicate interplay between stress, diffusion, and accretion can
be described in terms of a configurational stress that combines chemical
potential with an Eshelby-type contribution. This work is in
collaboration with R. Abeyaratne and T. Cohen (MIT).
---