Joint ICTP/SISSA Announcement

Statistical Physics statphys at ictp.it
Mon Oct 20 11:14:57 CEST 2014

_JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR_

Tuesday, 21 October - 2:00 p.m. (!)

SISSA, "Cinema Room"

Speaker:     Michele Burrello

Title:**Topological Phases in Ultracold Fermionic Gases

Abstract:
The experimental simulation of gauge potentials and spin-orbit
couplings in ultracold atomic gases paves the way to realize
intriguing topological phases in these physical setups. In this
talk I will describe how the interplay between synthetic magnetic
fields and spin-orbit couplings allows to simulate topological
insulators in optical lattices. I will analyse some example of
topological phase transitions in these systems and I will examine
possible experimental signatures of the non-trivial topological
phases.