2 JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINARS

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Tue Nov 25 15:28:04 CET 2014

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Friday, 28 November - 11:00 hrs

SISSA, Santorio Building,  Cinema Room' 1st floor

François LANDES (ICTP)

"Viscoelastic Interfaces Driven in Disordered Media  & Applications to
Friction"

Abstract:
Many complex systems respond to a continuous input of energy by an
accumulation of stress over time, interrupted by sudden energy releases
called avalanches. Recently, it has been pointed out that several basic
features of avalanche dynamics are induced at the microscopic level by
relaxation processes, which are neglected by most models. We have
studied a minimal modification of a well-known model of avalanche
dynamics, in which we take into account the presence of "relaxation
processes". Precisely, we study a viscoelastic interface driven in a
disordered medium.

In mean-field, we prove that our model interface has a periodic behavior
(with a new, emerging time scale), with avalanche events that span the
whole system. We compute semi-analytically the friction force acting on
this surface, and find that it is compatible with classical friction
experiments.

In finite dimensions (2D), the mean-field system-sized events become
local, and numerical simulations give qualitative and quantitative
results in good agreement with several important features of real
earthquakes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 2 December - 11:00 hrs

SISSA, Santorio Building, Cinema Room, 1st floor

Gabriele Martelloni (SISSA)

"Quantum Quench from a thermal tensor state: two stationary states, NESS
and GGE"

Abstract:

We consider a non-interacting Fermi gas in d dimensions, both in the
non- relativistic and relativistic case. The system of size Ld is
initially prepared into two halves L and R, each of them thermalized at
two different temperatures, TL and TR respectively. At time t = 0 the
two halves are put in contact and the entire system is left to evolve
unitarily. We show that, in the thermodynamic limit, the time evolution
of the particle and energy densities is perfectly described by a
semiclassical approach which permits to analytically evaluate the
correspondent stationary currents. In particular, in the case of
non-relativistic fermions, we find a low-temperature behavior for the
particle and energy currents which is independent from the
dimensionality d of the system, being proportional to the difference TL2
− TR2 . Moreover we consider the same problem of two halves, thermalized
at different temperatures, for two 1d XX chains using the Quench Action
Method (QAM). We show that two different stationary regimes are reached
at long times, depending on the interplay between the observation time
scale T and the total length L of the system. We show the emergence of a
non-equilibrium steady state (NESS) supporting an energy current for
observation time T much smaller than the system size L. We then identify
a longer time-scale for which thermalization occurs in a Generalized
Gibbs Ensemble (GGE).

--
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
e-mail: qls at ictp.it