2 seminars coming up next week

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Nov 13 16:10:02 CET 2014

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Monday, 17 November  -   14:00 hrs.

SISSA, Santorio Building, Cinema Room, 1st floor

Robert KONIK    (Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton)

"Glimmers of a quantum KAM theorem: Insights from quantum quenches in one dimensional Bose gases"

Abstract

We consider quantum quenches in one dimensional Bose gases where we prepare the gas in the ground state of a parabolic trap and then release it into a small cosine potential.  This cosine potential breaks the integrability of the 1D gas which absent the potential is described by the Lieb-Liniger model.  We explore the consequences of this cosine potential on the thermalization of the gas.  We argue that the integrability breaking of the cosine does not immediately lead to ergodicity in as much as we demonstrate that there are residual quasi-conserved quantities post-quench.  We demonstrate that the quality of this quasi-conservation can be made arbitrarily good.

==

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 18 November  -   11:00 hrs.

SISSA, Santorio Building, Cinema Room, 1st floor

Amilcar QUEIROZ (Universidade de Brasilia and Universidad de Zaragoza)

"Entanglement and particle identity"

Abstract

Entanglement of quantum states generically emerges via a partial observation.  Such observations are usually encoded by the operation of a partial trace over one of the components.of the system.  Nevertheless it is well-known that partial trace is not suitable to deal with general systems such as those involving identical particles.  Recently (Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 080503 (2013)) we have proposed a procedure to address this problem of identical particles in a proper manner.  The procedure is based on the properties of the algebra of observables of the system and the GNS (Gelfand-Naimark-Siegel) construction of representations of such algebra.  In the present seminar, we present our proposed approach to this problem and discuss some of its  applications and consequences.  Further references are (arXiv:1212.1239, arXiv:1301.1300, arXiv:1302.4924).