Mathematics Seminar at ICTP - Wednesday 12 November, at 16:30

Math Group math at ictp.it
Mon Nov 10 14:29:39 CET 2014

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2014

Wednesday, 12 November, at 16.30 hrs.

Erik Carlsson
(ICTP)

Title "Switching limits in geometric representation theory"

Abstract: Atiyah and Bott famously showed that Borel-Weil-Bott and the
equivariant localization theorem for the flag manifold imply a proof of
the Weyl-Character formula. I'll explain how generalizing this in a
certain way to some infinite dimensional Kac-Moody requires that certain
limits be switched for some infinite-dimensional varieties, together
with an idea of Graeme Segal, and give some new sufficient conditions
for when this may be done. This all sounds a bit technical, but I really
won't assume very much.

Venue: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)