Mathematics Seminar - Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Mabilo mabilok at ictp.it
Mon May 5 11:09:05 CEST 2014

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2014

Tuesday, 13 May, at 16.30 hrs.

Miguel Walsh
(Oxford University, UK)

Title: The algebraicity of sieved sets and rational points on curves

Abstract:
We will discuss some connections between the polynomial method, sieve theory, inverse problems in arithmetic combinatorics and the estimation of rational points on curves. Our motivating questions will be to classify those sets that are irregularly distributed in residue classes and to understand how many rational points of bounded height can a curve of fixed degree have.

VENUE: Euler Lecture Hall, terrace level, ICTP Leonardo Building

--

Koutou Mabilo
ICTP-UNESCO

Tel.no.: +39-040-2240-455
Fax no.: +39-040-2240-7455
E-mail: mabilok at ictp.it

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." - Nelson Mandela