Upcoming seminar Joint ICTP/SISSA Statistical Physics Seminar

Statistical Physics statphys at ictp.it
Thu Mar 13 14:26:37 CET 2014

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 18 March -   11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
ICTP Leonardo Building (1st floor)

U. Marzolino (University of Ljubljana)

"Precision measurements of temperature and chemical potential of quantum
gases"

Abstract:

We investigate the sensitivity with which the temperature and the
chemical potential characterizing quantum gases can be measured. We
calculate the corresponding quantum Fisher information matrices for both
fermionic and bosonic gases. For the latter, particular attention is
devoted to the situation close to the Bose-Einstein condensation
transition, which we examine not only for the standard scenario in three
dimensions, but also for generalized condensation in lower dimensions,
where the bosons condense in a subspace of Hilbert space instead of a
unique ground state, as well as condensation at fixed volume or fixed
pressure. We show that Bose Einstein condensation can lead to sub-shot
noise sensitivity for the measurement of the chemical potential. We also
examine the influence of interactions on the sensitivity in three
different models, and show that mean-field and contact interactions
deteriorate the sensitivity but only slightly for experimentally
accessible weak interactions.