ICTP Mathematics Seminars - Thursday 12, Monday 16 and Thursday 19 June 2014

Math Group math at ictp.it
Wed Jun 11 15:28:03 CEST 2014

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S    2 0 1 4

*Thursday, 12 June, at 14:00 hrs.*

Dr. Krishnendu Gongopadhyay
(IISER, Mohali, India)

Title: Complex Hyperbolic Fenchel-Nielsen Coordinates

Abstract:
The classical Teichmuller space has a nice system of  coordinates on it
called the Fenchel-Nielsen coordinates. We shall  discuss generalization
of these coordinates in the setting of complex hyperbolic geometry. The
aim is to determine certain representations of  a surface group into the
isometry group of the complex hyperbolic space.

Venue:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, First
floor.

*Monday, 16 June, at 16:30 hrs.*

Alberto Verjovsky
(Instituto de Matemáticas UNAM Cuernavaca, México)

Title: Poincaré Theory for compact abelian one-dimensional solenoidal groups

Abstract:
The notion of Poincaré rotation number for homeomorphisms of the unit
circle is generalized to the case of homeomorphisms of a general compact
abelian one--dimensional solenoidal group, which is also a
one--dimensional foliated space; specifically, the theory is developed
for the algebraic universal covering space of the circle (the adèle
class group of the rationals).  Poincaré's dynamical classification
theorem is also generalized to homeomorphisms of solenoids whose
rotation element is an irrational element (i.e., monothetic generator)
of the given group.

Venue:  Euler Lecture Hall, ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, Terrace Level.

*Thursday, 19 June, at 16:30 hrs.*

Martin Mereb
(University of Buenos Aires)

Title: Counting points of wild character varieties

Abstract:
I will briefly survey some techniques to count the number of  points
over that certain caracter varieties have over finite fields.   The
formulas involve character tables of finite groups of Lie type and Hecke
algebras as well.