For circulation: Quantitative Biology Seminars

Statistical Physics statphys at ictp.it
Wed Jul 2 11:00:24 CEST 2014

QUANTITATIVE BIOLOGY SEMINAR - ref. QBio/2-2014

Date:        THURSDAY, 10 JULY 2014  -   16:00 hrs
*
*Venue:      Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, Leonardo building

Speaker:   Ilya NEMENMAN
Emory University, Depts. of Physics & Biology, Atlanta, U.S.A.

Title:        Simple Behavior of Complex Biological Networks *
*

Abstract:
Recent high-precision and high-throughput measurements of biological
networks dynamics
have uncovered interesting results. Namely, many biological systems
appear to be critical
(so that their dynamics can be classified into a handful of universal
classes), or are described
with high accuracy by surprisingly simple, phenomenological models. I
will explore a handful
of simple theoretical models inspired by these observations, suggesting
plausible explanations
for this emergence of coarse-grained simplicity from complex microscopic
structures.

QUANTITATIVE BIOLOGY SEMINAR - ref. QBio/3-2014