Seminar announcement

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Wed Jul 2 08:36:03 CEST 2014

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Stefano Spirito

Title: On the approximation of suitable weak solutions of Navier-Stokes
equations

Abstract

In this talk I will discuss the problem of the approximation of suitable
weak solutions of Navier-Stokes equations in the sense of Scheffer and
Caffarelli-Kohn-Nirenberg. It is well-known that suitable weak solutions
enjoy the partial regularity theorem of Caffarelli-Kohn-Nirenberg, hence
they are more regular than a Leray weak solutions. However, since the
uniqueness of weak solutions of Navier-Stokes is unknown it is not know
if different approximation methods lead to a suitable weak solution. I
will present some recent results obtained with L. C. Berselli
(University of Pisa) where we prove that solutions obtained with some
methods important in the applications are suitable. The main novelty of
this results relies on the fact that the approximations are finite
dimensional and the problem is considered in a bounded domain.

Venue: Wednesday 2 July at 3 pm in SISSA lecture room 133