Symplectic Topology Seminars

math math at ictp.it
Fri Feb 7 13:36:53 CET 2014

SYMPLECTIC  TOPOLOGY SEMINARS

Thursday, 13 February, at 14:00 hrs

Rafael Torres (SISSA)

"Constructions of generalized complex structures of different
type".

Abstract: The talk is a survey on recent existence results of
generalized complex structures in dimension four. We begin with a brief
introduction to generalized complex geometry. Then, we move on to
discuss recent cut-and-paste constructions on smooth 4-manifolds that
have unveiled interesting phenomena regarding existence results on a
myriad of manifolds, and information on the number of path components of
the type change locus of a generalized complex structure, hence
improving drastically our understanding of these geometric structures.
The talk will be example-driven.

VENUE: L. Stasi Seminar Room, First floor, ICTP Leonardo Building

* * *

Thursday, 20 February, at 14:00 hrs

Stefano Vidussi (University of California at Riverside)

"Separability properties of 3-manifold groups and symplectic 4-manifolds"

Abstract: I will survey some results on 3-manifold groups and discuss
how they allow us to decide the existence of symplectic structures on
some classes of 4-manifolds

VENUE: L. Stasi Seminar Room, First floor, ICTP Leonardo Building

* * *

Thursday, 27 February, at 14:30 hrs

Stefano Vidussi (University of California at Riverside)

"A conjecture on virtual properties of Kähler groups"

VENUE: L. Stasi Seminar Room, First floor, ICTP Leonardo Building