Fwd: Alumni Colloquium @ DF - Thu Dec 18th 4.30 pm - Riccardo Penco

Rosita Glavina - Dip. Fisica UniTS rosita.glavina at ts.infn.it
Thu Dec 11 11:58:03 CET 2014

  Within the series of Alumnorum Colloquia 2014/2015, we are pleased to
announce the Colloquium @ DF UniTs:

Riccardo Penco

Department of Physics & ISCAP, Columbia University

"Effective field theory approaches to condensed matter systems"

Thursday December 18th 2014 - 4:30 pm
Lecture room A, F building
Dip. di Fisica - via Valerio, 2 -- Trieste

ABSTRACT
It is impossible to overstate the crucial role that symmetries play in
physics. Perhaps counterintuitively, though, some of the most
interesting consequences of symmetries arise when they get broken ---
spontaneously broken, to be precise. This is because of the Goldstone
phenomenon, which implies the existence of certain low-energy
excitations --- the Goldstone modes --- whose properties and
interactions are tightly constrained by the symmetries. In this talk, I
will discuss several systems in which relativity is spontaneously
broken, ranging from ordinary solids, to vortex lines in superfluids and
more general systems with a finite charge density. I will focus in
particular on the Goldstone sector, which is a universal and robust
component of all these systems, and in the process I will show how
modern effective field theory techniques can provide a fresh and
insightful approach to condensed matter systems.

The leaflet can be downloaded here
<https://app.box.com/s/3vfwe3axqy8vo3o7g5ut>.

The calendar of seminars taking place at the Physics Department is
available at http://df.units.it/