ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Wednesday 9 April 2014, at 14:00

math math at ictp.it
Wed Apr 2 13:53:59 CEST 2014

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2014

Wednesday, 9 April, at 14:00 hrs.

Dustin Tate Clausen
(University of Copenhagen)

"A homotopy-theoretic approach to some theorems in arithmetic"

Abstract:
The theorems in the title refer to some generalizations and consequences
of the quadratic reciprocity law.  These all play on how the various
finite rings Z/nZ, which are simple to understand by themselves, are
tied together by the more complicated ring Z.  I will give an
introduction to these types of theorems, and then indicate how a certain
homotopy-theoretic construction relating tori and spheres can be used to
provide proofs of some of them, starting with the quadratic reciprocity
law itself.

Venue: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor , ICTP Leonardo Building