CMSP Section announces 3 seminars next week

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Oct 17 11:58:54 CEST 2013

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 22 October   -   11:00 a.m.

SISSA, Santorio Building,  Room 5  (Ground floor)

Spyros SOTIDIARIS   ( University of Pisa )

"Quantum quench of the trap frequency in the harmonic Calogero model"

Abstract

We consider a quantum quench of the trap frequency in a system of bosons interacting through an inverse-square potential and confined in a harmonic trap (the harmonic Calogero model). We determine exactly the initial state in terms of the post-quench eigenstates and derive the time evolution of simple physical observables. Since this model possesses an infinite set of integrals of motion (IoM) that allow its exact solution, a generalised Gibbs ensemble (GGE), i.e. a statistical ensemble that takes into account the conservation of all IoM, can be proposed in order to describe the values of local physical observables long after the quench. Even though, due to the presence of the trap, physical observables do not exhibit equilibration but periodic evolution, such a GGE may still describe correctly their time averaged values. We check this analytically for the local boson density and find that the GGE conjecture is indeed valid, in the thermodynamic limit.

======

INFORMAL SEMINAR on Chemical Physics

Wednesday, 23 October   -    4:30  p.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  ICTP Leonardo Building (1st floor)

Luca GRISANTI    ( ICTP )

"Charge and exciton transfer coupling in   molecular materials"

Abstract

In modeling electronic and optical properties of molecular materials it is of fundamental interest to estimate charge and exciton transfer couplings between molecular sites. A short review of some quantum chemical based approaches to evaluate such couplings will be presented, focusing especially on triplet exciton transfer as example.

=====

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday,  24 October -  11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Karyn LE HUR  (CPHT Ecole Polytechnique and CNRS, Palaiseau)

"Quantum dynamics and topological phases of light in circuit-QED"

Abstract

Systems in cavity or circuit QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) are extensively studied in the context of quantum information and quantum computing. In addition, studying the non-equilibrium dynamics of photons in these open quantum systems is a challenging theoretical question. Studying “versatile lattice versions of these systems”  open new doors to quantum simulation, similar to ultra-cold atoms in optical lattices. In this Talk, we review our recent theoretical progress regarding (i) the development of methods to address the dynamics of driven and dissipative light-matter systems beyond the weak-coupling limit and (ii) the realization of topological phases of light in superconducting QED-circuit arrays through synthetic gauge fields. Effects of disorder will be studied. We also comment on the current experimental status in circuit QED systems.