ICTP Mathematics Seminar on Monday 21 October at 11:00 hrs

math math at ictp.it
Thu Oct 10 10:52:04 CEST 2013

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2013

Monday, 21 October, at 11:00

David Burguet
(Universite' Paris 6, France)

"Symbolic extensions for C^2 surface diffeomorphisms"

Abstract:

By a symbolic extension of a topological dynamical system (X,T) we mean
an extension of (X,T) which is a subshift over a finite alphabet. The
existence and the entropy of these extensions are related to the
convergence of the metric entropy of (X,T) computed at finer and finer
scales. T. Downarowicz and S. Newhouse have conjectured that any C^r
with r>1 map on a compact manifold admits symbolic extensions. In this
talk we will discuss the case of surface maps.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor, ICTP Leonardo Building