Seminar @DF-TS - Dr. Suratna Das - Friday June 28th - CSL

Rosita Glavina Rosita.Glavina at ts.infn.it
Wed Jun 26 13:18:38 CEST 2013

  We are pleased to announce the seminar @ DF-Theoretical Section UniTs:

--------------------
Dr. Suratna Das
Astronomy & Astrophysics Division, Tata Institute of Fundamental
Research, Mumbay

"CSL as a plausible mechanism for quantum to classical transition of
primordial perturbations"

Friday June 28th - 2.30 pm
Room 204 - 2nd floor, Leonardo Building

Abstract
Inflationary paradigm not only explains the shortcomings of Big Bang
cosmology but also provides a mechanism of generation of primordial
fluctuations which we observe today as large scale structures (LSS) and
anisotropies in the temperature of CMBR. The fact, that these primordial
perturbations produced during inflation were quantum in nature and what
we observe today as LSS and CMBR anisotropy are all classical, raises a
question as when and how these primordial perturbations become
classical. Continuous Spontaneous Localization (CSL), a mechanism which
modifies Schrodinger equation by adding non-linear stochastic terms,
tries to answer such questions of emergence of classical behavior of
macroscopic objects in laboratory systems. In this talk we will see how
a CSL-like mechanism modifies the dynamics of the primordial
perturbations during inflation and show that within a certain parameter
range such CSL-like modifications can explain the macro-objectification
of primordial quantum fluctuation while maintaining the scale-invariance
of the power spectrum and the phase coherence of super-horizon modes to
be consistent with present observations like WMAP and PLANCK.