Condensed Matter & Statistical Mechanics Seminar

de_comel de_comel at ictp.it
Wed Jun 19 09:52:27 CEST 2013

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Section

Joint ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL MECHANICS SEMINAR

Date:		TUESDAY, 25 JUNE 2013  at 11.30 a.m.

ICTP Venue:  	Luigi Stasi Lecture Hall (first floor),
		Leonardo Building

Speaker:
Robert MULET
Dept. of Physics, Universidad de la Habana, Cuba

Title:
OPTIMAL DESIGN FOR QUANTUM TRANSPORT ACROSS A DISORDERED SYSTEM

Abstract:
For more than 50 years we have known that photosynthetic systems harvest
solar energy with almost unit quantum efficiency. However, recent
experimental evidence of quantum coherence during the excitonic energy
transport in photosynthetic organisms challenges our understanding of
this fundamental biological function. Currently, and despite numerous
efforts, the causal connection between coherence and efficiency is still
a matter of debate. We show, through extensive simulations of quantum
coherent transport on networks, that three dimensional structures
characterized by centro-symmetric Hamiltonians are statistically more
efficient than random arrangements. Moreover, we theoretical derive a
general mechanism for highly efficient quantum transport through nite,
disordered 3D networks. It relies on the interplay of disorder with
centro-symmetry and a dominant doublet spectral structure, and can be
controlled by proper tuning of only coarse-grained quantities.
Photosynthetic light harvesting complexes are discussed as potential
biological incarnations of this design principle.