ICTP Mathematics Seminar on Thursday 20 June

math math at ictp.it
Fri Jun 7 10:53:11 CEST 2013

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2013

Thursday, 20 June, at 16:00

Elio Mazzeo (University of Toronto, Canada)

Circle Maps, Renormalization, and Rigidity Theory

Abstract:
The talk will discuss the dynamics of circle maps
(orientation-preserving circle homeomorphisms (o.p.c.h)).
We will review the topological classification of these circle maps,
namely the Poincare Classification and the Denjoy Theory. We will
introduce the beautiful construction of the dynamical partition of the
circle. We will review the connection between the concept of the
Diophantine properties of the irrational rotation number of our map  and
the smooth classification of (sufficiently regular) circle maps (the so
called "rigidity" theory), in the context of three important classes:
diffeomorphisms, critical maps, and maps with a break point.
For circle maps with a break point, we will discuss two recent results
that were obtained in the rigidity theory of circle maps with a break point.
The first main result is a proof that C^1 rigidity holds for circle maps
with a break point for almost all irrational rotation numbers. This
result is joint work with Kostya Khanin and Sasa Kocic.
The second main result has to do with the family of fractional linear
transformation (FLT) pairs. An FLT-pair T is a circle homeomorphism that
consists of two branches each of which is an FLT. Such a map can be
viewed as a circle map with two neighbouring break points lying on the
same orbit. For this family, C^1 rigidity holds for all irrational
rotation numbers without any restriction (the so-called "robust rigidity").

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room, first floor , ICTP Leonardo Building