CM & STAT. PHYSICS - Disorder and Strong Electron Correlations

de_comel de_comel at ictp.it
Tue Jun 4 14:28:25 CEST 2013

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Section
SEMINAR on Disorder and Strong Electron Correlations

Thursday, 6 June 2013  at 11.30 a.m.

Venue:  Luigi Stasi Lecture Hall, ICTP Leonardo Building, 1st floor

Speaker:
RONNY THOMALE
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland

Title:
New Paths to Unconventional Topological Superconductivity

Abstract:
We report on our recent progress regarding classes of materials
which exhibit chiral triplet and singlet superconductivity, where
topologically nontrivial pairing phenomena can emerge. Specifically,
motivated by recent experimental advances, we show that graphene doped
to the van Hove regime can give rise to a plethora of interesting
ordering instabilities such as spin density wave and superconductivity.
As a function of system parameters such as doping and range of Coulomb
interaction, we explain which instability is favored by the system, and
analyze the effect of long-range interactions on superconductivity
giving rise to a competition between singlet d+id and triplet f wave. We
further report on our investigations of Cobaltate superconductors where
we believe the experimental evidence can be reconciled by an anisotropic
d+id superconducting gap. We also outline our work in progress for other
compounds such as strontium ruthenate and SrPtAs which we believe are
promising to stabilize such interesting topological superconducting
states of matter.