CM & STAT. PHYSICS - Disorder and Strong Electron Correlations

de_comel de_comel at ictp.it
Tue Jul 30 14:11:17 CEST 2013

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Section
SEMINAR on Disorder and Strong Electron Correlations

Thursday, 1 August 2013  at 11.30 a.m.

Venue:  Luigi Stasi Lecture Hall, ICTP Leonardo Building, 1st floor

Speaker:
VLADIMIR YUDSON
Institute of Spectroscopy, Troitsk, Russia

Title:
Localization at the Edge of 2D Topological Insulator
by Kondo Impurities with Random Anisotropies

Abstract:
We consider chiral electrons moving along the 1D helical edge of a 2D
topological insulator and interacting with a disordered chain of Kondo
impurities. Assuming the electron-spin couplings of random anisotropies,
we map this system to the problem of the pinning of the charge density
wave by the disordered potential. This mapping proves that arbitrary
weak anisotropic disorder in coupling of chiral electrons with spin
impurities leads to the Anderson localization of the helical edge states
[1].

[1] B.L. Altshuler, I.L. Aleiner, and V.I. Yudson, preprint arXiv:
     1306.2626