Two lectures by P. Hekmati

Ugo Bruzzo bruzzo at sissa.it
Wed Jul 17 22:59:26 CEST 2013

=====================================
SISSA GEOMETRY & MATH PHYS SEMINARS
=====================================

Dr Pedram Hekmati (University of Adelaide) will give two lectures,
on Tuesday July 23 and Thursday July 25 respectively, at 2:30 pm
in Room 136, SISSA Building A.

Loop Spaces, Gerbes and Twisted K-theory

The subjects in the title of this talk have been studied vigorously in the past 15 years, fuelled in particular by their close connection with theoretical physics. A common trait is that they allow for several different yet equivalent geometric realizations. In short, gerbes can be used to twist K-theory of a topological space X and are intimately related to line bundles on the loop space LX. The purpose of this talk is to introduce and connect these three topics.

The Cubic Dirac Operator on Infinite Dimensional Lie Groups

Lie groups carry a one parameter family of Dirac operators. The cubic Dirac operator refers to the value 1/3 of this parameter and it has many beautiful applications in representation theory, geometry and physics. Our aim is to explain its role in twisted K-theory, which will provide vivid examples of the discussions in my first talk.

U. Bruzzo