Seminar coming up on Tuesday

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Jan 25 14:59:42 CET 2013

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 29 January -   11:30 hrs.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room -      ICTP Leonardo Building - 1st floor

Luca TAGLIACOZZO     ( The Institute of Photonic Sciences, Barcelona )

"Overview of 1D tensor networks and   their application to quantum phase transitions"

Abstract

I will introduce Tensor Network states and explain in this context two strategies for extracting universal quantities at conformal invariant fixed point of spin chains. One of them the scaling approach is better suited to simple tensor networks such as matrix product states and tree tensor networks. More sophisticated tensor networks (such as the MERA) allow to directly extract universal properties from the tensors of the network.

I will present results obtained through both approaches.