seminario Prof. Jean Valles

Emilia Mezzetti mezzette at units.it
Mon Jan 7 17:37:26 CET 2013

UNIVERSITA' DI TRIESTE
DIPARTIMENTO DI MATEMATICA E GEOSCIENZE
SEZIONE DI MATEMATICA E INFORMATICA

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Friday, January 11 2013, at 2:30 p.m.
Venue: Seminar Room  (H2 building, Via Valerio 12/1, 3rd floor, room 334)

PROF. JEAN VALLE'S
Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour

Title : Strong and Weak Lefschetz properties
characterized by singular hypersurfaces

Abstract: In a recent work,  Mezzetti,
Miro'-Roig and Ottaviani highlight the link
between rational varieties
satisfying a Laplace equation and artinian ideals
failing the Weak Lefschetz Property (WLP).
In this talk I will say in few words what is the
WLP and how to extend this  link to the more
general
situation of artinian ideals failing the Strong Lefschetz Property (SLP).
I will  characterize the failure of SLP  by the
existence of special singular hypersurfaces
(cones in the case of  WLP) and give many new
examples  of ideals failing the SLP.
Finally, I will explain the link between SLP and
line arrangements and say some words on a nice
conjecture, due to Terao, on free arrangements.
This work, visible on  arXiv:1210.2292, was done
in collaboration with Di Gennaro and Ilardi from
the University of Napoli.

Everybody interested is much welcome to attend.

--
Prof. Emilia Mezzetti

Dipartimento di Matematica e Geoscienze
Sezione di Matematica e Informatica
Universita' di Trieste
Via Valerio 12/1
34127 Trieste, Italia

Stanza 227, II piano
e-mail: mezzette at units.it
tel. studio (+39) 040 558 2650
skype: emiliamezzetti
tel. Segreteria Dip.: (+39) 040 558 2635
fax: (+39) 040 558 2636
http://www.dmi.units.it/~mezzette/