Fwd: EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Austria, 27 April -2 May 2014 - " Impacts of anthropogenic pressures on coastal ecosystem functioning and services "

Iannitti iannitti at ictp.it
Thu Dec 19 14:29:06 CET 2013

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Charlotte Peelen <oceanphys at ulg.ac.be>
> Date: 19 December 2013 12:10:40 GMT+01:00
> To: Modelenvironment - Oceanphys <oceanphys at ulg.ac.be>
> Subject: EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Austria, 27 April -2 May 2014 - " Impacts of anthropogenic pressures on coastal ecosystem functioning and services "
>
> Dear All,
>
> You are kindly invited to submit an abstract for our session " Impacts of anthropogenic pressures on coastal ecosystem functioning and services " to be held in the upcoming EGU General Assembly in Vienna, Austria, 27 April -2 May 2014
>
> ******* 16 January 2014 is the abstract deadline ******
>
> For further information, visit the EGU Assembly site: http://www.egu2014.eu/home.html
>

> You can find the BG3.2 announcement under 'Call-for-Paper Programme' and
> 'Biogeosciences'. Direct link: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/14076
>
> IMPORTANT: A special Issue of Continental Shelf Research will be published with selected contributions from this session (jointly with the session on Marine environmental status and biodiversity: from structure to functionality, delivering ecosystem services organized in the frame of the next IMBER meeting in Bergen ).
>
> **Title**
> Impacts of anthropogenic pressures on coastal ecosystem functioning and services
>

> **Outline**
> Coastal and shelf areas are valuable but vulnerable socio-ecological systems, which are exposed to the combined pressures related to multiple human activities (e.g. fishing, navigation, agriculture, industry, urban loads) and climate change. Their combined effect can alter environmental conditions, modify ecosystem structure, functioning and state, compromising ecosystem services and affecting global biogeochemical cycles. The consequences for the state of the marine ecosystem include, e.g. (i) warming, acidification, pollution, eutrophication, increasing turbidity and organic matter, and poor oxygen conditions, leading to decrease of water quality, changes in benthic redox processes, benthos and fish mortality; (ii) increase of harmful (and sometimes toxic) algal bloom (HAB); (iii) increase of non-indigenous species and affect global biogeochemical cycles and climate. Thus, understanding the interactions among anthropogenic and climate pressures and their combined effects on marine ecosystem is challenging, but crucial to define management strategies for preserving the Good Environmental Status (GES) of seas and related services.
>

> This session is interdisciplinary and aims to gather natural scientists (e.g. experimentalists, modellers, statisticians) and socio-economists in order to promote the dialogue.

> [...]

Lisa Iannitti
International Centre for
Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
of UNESCO and the IAEA
Strada Costiera 11
34014 Trieste, Italy
tel.: +39 - 040 - 2240227
fax.: +39 - 040 - 2240558
ICTP website: http://www.ictp.it/

✯'Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.'✯
✯"We are not permitted to choose the frame of our destiny.... but what we put into it, is ours..."  -  Dag Hammarskjöld✯
✯"A Winner is only a Dreamer who hasn't given up"✯ - Nelson Mandela
✯"Since wars begin in the minds of men, it is in the minds of men that the defences of peace must be constructed"✯UNESCO's motto
✯Let us not be justices of peace, but angels of peace✯ Saint Theresa of Lisieux
✯ All Lives are of Equal Value✯